Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

I have a Trane XR11 air conditioner when the outside

Hi I have a Trane XR11 air conditioner when the outside condenser starts the fan won't come on but if I spin the fan manually it runs until it comes off again
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Yes & yes
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no everything else on the unit is working fine I have cold air when the fan is running

Hi I'm Brian and I'll be happy to help you with this!

9 times out of 10 it is a weak fan motor run capacitor that causes this. I would replace the capacitor first and see if that solves it. They are cheap and available online or at your local appliance parts store. It will look like a small round or oval metal cylinder (very few are also gray plastic) and will have either two or three terminals on top. You will need to remove the side panel of your ac unit then likely the control panel cover that's revealed after removing the side panel. Behind that, you will find your fan motor run capacitor. It will likely also be the capacitor for your compressor as most units these days use what's known as a "dual run capacitor" for both the compressor and fan motor. It will be rated in Mfd and will likely be something like 35+5 Mfd at 370 volts ac or 40/7.5 @ 440Vac or something very similar. You can go up on the voltage (not down) but the Mfd ratings must match.

I should caution you, capacitors (especially blown ones) can hold a nasty charge even after the power is shut off to them. So with power shut off, you should take a screwdriver, and only holding the handle, short each capacitor terminal to the unit casing with the shaft of the screwdriver before touching them. This will ensure the capacitor is discharged and won't bite you!

Let me know if I can help further!

Thanks,

Brian

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Hi Brian,
It was the capacitor changed it & all works well.
Thanks for your help & advise much appreciated!!

That's awesome news! I'm glad I was able to help! Thanks much for using Just Answer, please remember to rate by clicking 3 stars or better before leaving as that's the only way I get paid for assisting you.

Best regards,

Brian