HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My 3 year old Payne is frozen up in side and will not come…

Customer Question
My 3 year old...

My 3 year old Payne is frozen up in side and will not come on..there was a message to change the filter....I Did....The old filter was wet

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just occured for the first time

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If i can

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/25/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 10 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, the ice can be as much as two inches thick and take 4 to 6 hours to melt, The filter was wet because water was dripping down from the block of ice on the coil.

Put a new air filter in the furnace. Wait at least 5 hours, then turn the system back on.

With the system in cooling mode and the outside unit now running, feel the largest copper tube attached to the outside unit, it will be insulated in black foam rubber, peel the rubber back and feel the tube if it sweats and never gets frost on it for the next 2 hours you have solved the problem.

.

That is step one, let me know how that goes, we can proceed from there.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally.. and with over 8,000 questions answered here since 2009, with a 98.5% satisfaction rating.

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

.

Tell me a little about your technical background and instruments on hand so that I can coach you most effectively. We can go from here.