HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a heater that will turn on for 5 minutes then shut…

Customer Question
I have a bryant...

I have a bryant heater that will turn on for 5 minutes then shut down with a 31 code

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just today its the first cold day here

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If i can

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that i can think of

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/24/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 10 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your

issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation. This is a venting or vent sensor problem. Is your vent pipe metal or PVC?

I'm not sure which pipe is the vent, but looks like it's all pvc

I'm going to open this up to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.

HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 10 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, I need the full model number of the furnace, its on a tag inside the same compartment as the gas valve...just follow the 3/4" gas pipe to find that compartment.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally.. and with over 8,000 questions answered here since 2009, with a 98.5% satisfaction rating.

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

.

Tell me a little about your technical background and instruments on hand so that I can coach you most effectively. We can go from here.

912SC36040S17A-A

Thanks, click here for the manual that Bryant provides, they do not however include an internal furnace wiring diagram, what I usually do is mark those up with step by step trouble shooting instructions.

Take a close up, exceedingly well focused photo of the wiring diagram that is glued inside your blower access door and attach it here using the 'add files' link next to your send button.

I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions. Meantime tell me if if the inducer blower is running or not,

Click here please

We can go from there

Thanks, click here please, unplug the furnace, wait 2 minutes, plug it back in with the thermostat set to heat and up to 90F... then **after*** the inducer fan starts fit a jumper wire across the HPS switch 2 to 7 seconds after the inducer fan starts... if the rest of the furnace now operates properly, remove the jumper immediately. We will service the pressure switch and do a a few tests in that case.

click here please, if the igniter module does not glow brightly 30 to 60 seconds after you have jumpered the HPS, then unplug the igniter module and measure the voltage between the two female sockets that power the igniter (red circle). If you get 120 volts, replace the ignitor module.

Let me know how much of this is within your skill set range so that I can tune my test procedures to you skill level. We can go from there without a time limit