HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have an older Honeywell round thermostat (+/- 25 years…

Customer Question
I have an older...

I have an older Honeywell round thermostat (+/- 25 years old) that will only go on if I set the dial at least 5 to 8 degrees higher than the room temperature. If I set it at 70 F. before going to bed in the evening and the temperature of the room drops down to 64 -66F during the night, it does not go on. Could it be a problem with the thermostat or the valve that controls the radiant heat pump ?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Re settings, I can only control he temp I want the heat to go on. There are no filters in my radiant hear system.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it is simple , yes. However I had a plumber replace the valve to the radiant heat pump last Fall and it worked OK for the rest of the cool winter.....until this Fall .

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, except that the valve in question opens up as I said initially only when I (testing it only) set it at least 4-6 degrees higher than room temp. So, do you think it could be a thermostat problem or ???

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/24/2017
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 10 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is Billy. Can you tell me if you only have 2 wires hooked up in thermostat?

After removing the cover of the thermostat I see a semicircular metal thin bar with grooves along it (below the dial ) and a metal pointer overlying it, pointing to a few line grooves from the beginning. So what is it and what does it control ? If you have a picture of this older round model you will see what I am trying to describe.

That is what is called a heat anticipator. It used the low voltage to help warm the thermostat to anticpate when boiler should shut off.

Did you see what wires are attached and how many?