HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a trane 2twb0030a100ab outside unit which keeps

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a trane 2twb0030a100ab outside unit which keeps tripping the circuit breaker

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

What do I check from the thermostat?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes,

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Okay, will a thermostat replacement cause the condenser unint to keep tripping a breaker?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/25/2017
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 10 months ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Russ here. Sorry about wait. No thermostat replacement should not cause unit to kick breaker. Does it kick breaker right away or run for awhile first. Russ

I disconnected the compressor and the fan worked fine without tripping the breaker. As soon as i connect the compressor the will trip.
It kicks the breaker right away.

If it is kicking breaker you have a grounded compressor or bad capacitor. Everything works inside correct. Russ

Open up the panel on outside unit and check capacitor. The silver round component. See if it is oily or puffed up at top. Russ

Capacitor wad the first thing i changed.a tech came by and said i need a new compressor and i got it and installed but it still keeps tripping.

If you replaced compressor. Wired it correctly. replace breaker it maybe weak. Russ

If compressor keeps kicking breaker. It may have been diagnosed wrong. Disconnect compressor at the compressor and tape connections retry system. If it runs you may have bad or weak breaker. If it kicks breaker fan motor or sump heater if it has one. Russ

If fan runs and does not kick breaker you have weak breaker. Russ

1. What is sump heater and were will it be located base on the modwl i gave you?
2. The disconnected it from the compressor side and taped the terminals and the fan run without tripping breaker but when i connected the compressor it made some hissing noise at the breaker and tripped. Thanks
Note, i had replaced the breaker before i replaced the compressor.

If you have an ohmmeter check resistance on windings and to ground. Russ

Will do asap. Thanks
What do i look for on the windings to ground?

If you have a winding shorted it will read ohms. If you have any resistance to ground compressor is grounded. Russ

Will check and get back to asap.

Winding shorted will read 0 ohms.

Was that a used or new compressor you installed.

New from trane dealer. Came in an unopened box.

What were your readings. Russ

You still need help. Russ