HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Low hot water pressure kitchen and upstair bathroom new

plumbing from basement to upstair...
low hot water pressure kitchen and upstair bathroom new plumbing from basement to upstair all new fixtures good cold holds pressure and gets hot other plumbing newer copper
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: just bought the house installed new pex
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes new pex to the upstairs did find some corrosion when removing old pipes flushed good water flow cold nat. gas
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: the hot water heater is a state year 1990
9/24/2017
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, water heaters have a limited life span, the tank types last about 20 years, and the tankless 10 or 12 years, at age 27 your hot water and especially any galvanized piping that is still attached is the prime suspect.

Tell me how long it takes to fill a one gallon jug from the first floor kitchen tap and how long it takes from an upstairs hot tap. we can go from there

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally.. and with over 8,000 questions answered here since 2009, with a 98.5% satisfaction rating.

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

.

Tell me a little about your technical background and instruments on hand so that I can coach you most effectively. We can go from here.

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the upstairs just more than a trickle the kitchen I would guess a couple minutes
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Removed all Galvanize found debry at inlet and outlet cleaned replaced cold water drop pipe

Thanks, ***** ***** cold water pressure upstairs is good and just the not water is down to a trickle at all hot water fixtures upstairs, the odds are in the 98% range that there is a galvanized nipple somewhere in that hot water line or the cold water line to the water heater that got missed.

We can keep going until we get the situation sorted out

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'll relook Monday

The galvanized nipples that get missed the most are the ones behind the hot and cold water shut off valves inside the wall.. if they are there you can very often see them poking out from the wall a few inches, sometimes they have a chrome plated sleeve hiding them.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
new hot water heater good hot water and pressure lost cold water pressure no galvanized pipes only at gate valve at inlet into house from city supply changing out next week only spins possibly broke with new water meter install? hopefully not water line

Hello again, if it were a bad gate valve at the inlet to the house, then *both the hot and the cold water would be low pressure, not just the hot. Does that make sense?

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer