HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a geothermal unit(s). Zone 3 (upstairs) is cooling.

Customer Question
I have a geothermal unit(s)...
I have a geothermal unit(s). Zone 3 (upstairs) is cooling. Zones 1 and 2 are not. Tech made an emergency visit and found that the water pressure was too low and he added water to get pressure up to around 50%. (He could not really explain why a closed loop system needed water to be added...) He changed the filter (very dirty), which probably hadn't been changed in 9 months. He then tested the temperature of air leaving the vents and it was 60 degrees. The house went from 83degrees down to the set 72 degrees within 10 hours. I returned home about 12 hours later to find the house at 83 degrees again. The Honeywell zoning system has the purge indicator light flashing for the zones that aren't working. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/23/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 8 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, your technician sounds competent to me, its possible there is a water leak in your closed loop, could be a hole in the tubing due to someone driving a steel fence post etc, of the shaft seal on the water pump could be leaking.

.

We can go from there without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally.. and with over 8,000 questions answered here since 2009, with a 98.5% satisfaction rating.

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

.

Tell me a little about your technical background and instruments on hand so that I can coach you most effectively. We can go from here.

There has been no recent construction in my well established neighborhood, and I was told all of the wells are on my property, but I understand that a leak can still occur. Would you give me an idea of the difficulty or cost to repair a leak in the closed loop? I imagine a leak on/at the pump is an easier, if not less expensive repair?

Hello again, there are established leak locator specialist companies, with special listening and moisture sensing probes they use to find leaks. but lets see if there is a leak first. Call your tech back and get his input.

Cost to locate the leak is between $700 and $2,000.... repair involves digging down to it and fitting a repair coupling, another $2000 or so

A pump shaft seal if the pump you have installed even has a shaft seal is of course the easiest to fix leak.

We need to keep going, stay in touch let me know what your technician discovers.

Tell me a bit about the service company, how long in business, how many techs, what did they charge you and are they a geothermal specialist company or not

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer