HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Amana AC90 - How do I change the wiring from the motor to…

Amana AC90 - How...

Amana AC90 - How do I change the wiring from the motor to the IC board to speed up fan for A/C?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Every year the wire have to be changed from heat to A/C.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

The thermostat is only a year old the furnace is 18yo. The tropuuble is that we have not had to use the a/c in 3 years and I lost the notes I had on which wires to switch

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I switched the black (fast) with the red (slow) but it doesn't seems to blow any faster

9/23/2017
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is Billy.

Can you tell me what the terminals are labeled that you have the blower wires attached to?

Some say HI and LO

Others COOL, HEAT

PARK...M1 M2....what are yours labeled?

Please wait while I go downstairs and take a picture

Standing by

thank you...and what function are you wanting to speed up fan for?..heat or cool?

cool - haven't used A/C in three years

Ok, you are currently wired for as high a speed as possible on cooling.

If the motor shows no signs of increased speed, then you likely have a worn motor...is the motor original?

No, it was replaced three years ago
Either that, or it has been on high the last three years but the A/C air is barely a small breeze at the registers. I just replaced the air filter.

If you go to the ac coil where the freon pipes enter...is there any frost or ice present on the larger insulated pipe?

the ac coil on the furnace

No ice

Ok, well we have 2 choices...

lack of air flow

lack of refrigerant

the cool terminal has the highest speed wire currently. If only 3 years old I would assume motor is ok.

Have you tried with the filter out? Some of the newer filters are too dense for older systems

The coolant level was checked last year by technician as part of operational certification for house sale that didn't happen and he told me it was full.

Unfortunately refrigerant levels can change year to year with the expansion ans contraction of fittings....I do not mean fluctuate by increasing amount..but a unit fine for years can develop a leak at any time no different than a tire.

When you have little cooling, like yours it boils down to a missing factor....that is proper air flow and proper refrigerant level.

It sounds by your description that the blower is slow. This means filter is too dense, ac coil on furnace is dirty, blower fins dirty, or something else hindering air flow.

The bad thing is it does not matter how new a motor is..or what refrigerant was last year...both of those items can change at any time.

if you go to the 2 pipes that carry freon...and feel them both while ac is running...tell me if they are cool, warm, wet dry etc,,

The two lines are cold and have condensation dripping at the connection to the AC coil
It sounds like before I call someone in to check the refrigerant level, I should expose the AC coil and make sure it isn't blocked by dog hair (like everything else around here!)

Only one line should be cold....

I would check the coil for dog hair (which I know alot about)...and if that is clear then I would call for a refrigerant check up..

I wish you the best!

Billy

BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Thanks Billy
Wee Willie

You are very welcome :)

Have a great weekend