HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I am considering installing a Ruud/Rheem gas pac. Can you…

I am considering installing...

I am considering installing a Ruud/Rheem gas pac. Can you give me info as to how they perform compared to a Lennox?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I started yesterday. I have quotes for Lennox and for Ruud/Rheem. I would like to know which is the best unit.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

I am not sure you understand. I am in the process of having a new unit installed and would like info on which is the best unit.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No. I have bids for each unit from two different HVAC companies. I would like to know if you would recommend one over the other. Which has the best work record, etc.?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I am not sure. Do you have any data to share that would help me make a decision as to which unit to go with? Is one more efficient than the other?

9/23/2017
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, all of these systems have SEER ratings, the higher the SEER rating the more it costs and the more efficient it is.. SEER ratings much above 15 SEER require very complex, failure prone, controls systems... I do not recommend higher than 14SEER for that reason.

.

Similar with gas furnaces 80% efficient is my preference, only 90% efficient or higher if you are in an arctic type environment and the dealer is near by to keep it serviced for you

.

Lennox tends to use their own proprietary parts that you must buy from them in many but not all cases, Rudd and Rheem use standard off the shelf parts that are a little easier to get and less expensive.

I do not notice that Lennox has any less problems than other equipment.

The quality of the dealer is the primary thing to look for when buying equipment, it is the installation that determines how well a system will run.

.

We can go from there without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed , after you rate this answer:

Select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally.. and with over 8,000 questions answered here since 2009, with a 98.5% satisfaction rating.

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

.

Tell me a little about your technical background and instruments on hand so that I can coach you most effectively. We can go from here.

I have two bids, one on the Ruud/Rheem which is 15 seer and about $400.00 less expensive than the Lennox which has a seer of 14. You said you would not recommend a unit that has a seer rating above 15. Is the seer 15 acceptable in this case or should I go for a Ruud/Rheem with a seer14 rating?
Am I eligible for the $5.00 rebate for this question? The original sign up page offer a $5.00 rebate but I failed to click on that tab.
Thank you,
Bob

I need the full model number on the Ruud/ rheem option, if it does not have a variable speed blower I will recommend that brand, if it does have a variable speed motor I will recommend that you get a 14 SEER quote from Ruud/ Rheem.

If the Ruud/ Rheem dealer is very well established with a good local reputation I will recommend them.

I will only recommend Lennox as second choice, not a bad second choice but not my first choice

.

Regarding your $5 only our management knows about that issue, I just handle the answering end in my category.

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer