HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Our water heater was leaking and now are heating and cooling…

Customer Question
Our water heater was...

Our water heater was leaking and now are heating and cooling isn't working. The fan doesn't cone on at all; Are these things related?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

I checked thermostat settings and did a hard reset on power.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't think so

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/23/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 5 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If your water heater supplies hot water to your heating system the 2 issues could be related. Do you have a separate furnace? or an air handler with a hot water coil?

Furnace is next to water heater.

Ok so unrelated unless the leak sprayed water on the furnace controls.

Was a switch shut off during the leak that might have been for the furnace ? If you want to troubleshoot this I need a brand and model for your furnace

Okay let me go get that

ok

It's a Amana air command Hi efficiency 80 gas furnace

I need a model number not the series. It would be on the rating tag inside the burner compartment. Before you go back turn the thermostat to HEAT and above the room temp and tell me if the small draft inducer/exhaust fan on the front of the unit is runniing?

GUI070X30A
If we don't have gas on water heater does that make a difference too? we are currently without hot water because we still have one leak to fix
we have water shut off valve off
no fan running

Is the exhaust fan running? Does the blower turn on when you move the fan switch to ON?

no

Sounds like someone turned off a switch or the breaker. Can you see an LED through the viewing port in the blower compartment access panel?

Is that in the back where motor is?
I don't see any light

Sorry for the dealy I was called away. Your description indicates there's no power to the system. Either a switch or breaker is off or you have a 24 volt issue. You need a multi-meter to do some voltage testing if you can't find a switch or breaker that's off.

Okay, I don't have one of those unfortunately. I did check the breakers.

Then you'll have to call in a pro.

Okay

Thanks for using Just Answer

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer