HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Lennox xp19 cools on air condition but does not heat on

Customer Question
Lennox xp19 cools...

Lennox xp19 cools on air condition but does not heat on heatpump

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Checked thermostat both ways will cool but when i switch to heat it does not go into eheat , starts burning porpane , it is 50 degrees outside,have not checked filter

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have a friend that has a hvac comp. but he is out of town for a few days

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No just wondering why it wasn,t heating on eheat

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/23/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 10 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, if the heat pump outside is not running (no fan, and no compressor) in heat mode then this is a controls problem either at the thermostat or the printed circuit board. Diagnosis can get complex, you will need a multi meter and some skill with it, I can coach you to a full diagnosis at no extra charge.

However see this note below, OR I can opt out and we can see if any other experts here want to handle this extensive diagnosis. Its up to you.

.

We can go from there without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed , after you rate this answer:

Select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally..

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

.

Tell me a little about your technical background and instruments on hand so that I can coach you most effectively. We can go from here.

Im the home owner,but i know quite a bit about my system lennox xp19 heat pump has harmony zone system, temp outside is 50 degrees today should switch to eheat but is not wondering if reversing valve could be stuck
sounds like a scam

Hello again, addressing the scam issue first, JA has over 11,000 experts here including doctors of all types and attorneys...I have been here since 2009 after a very successful career... first 30 years as a mechanical contractor, last 26 years consulting nationally on major projects.... 8,000+ questions with a satisfaction rating of 98.5% (not 100%) let me know if you wish to continue with me or not, or if you would like me to opt out to another expert.

There are delays here, I handle many customers at time, and do research and type up these long replies.

when my hvac guy gets back in town we will continue

That will work, good luck with it