HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My carrier thermostat is showing a E1 error message, which…

Customer Question
Hi - my carrier...

Hi - my carrier thermostat is showing a E1 error message, which as I understand it means there's a faulty sensor and the thermostat needs to be replaced. I have what I believe is the ComfortChoice thermostat. I bought a Cor thermostat. Is the Cor compatible?

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Thermostat

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/23/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 11 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, I need the brand and model number of the old thermostat, you can gently pry most of those off of their wall mounted sub bases, hold it in your hand and read the full model number and brand name stamped on the back.

While you have it off of the wall, tell me which color of wire is attached to each lettered terminal on the wall mounted sub base, we can go from there.

.

Old stat is Carrier, looks like 1012N105417. Red wire connected to V+, white (cream?) wire connected to Vg. I don't have V+ or Vg labeled connections on the new thermostat anywhere.

Do you mean to say that there are only two wires connected to your old thermostat? that is quite unusual for this sort of situation, I need the full details

Yup, exactly correct. There are 5 wires back there, but only the red and white were connected to the stat. In fact, there were only two total terminals to even connect wires to

Here is the manual for your existing themostat, its an older type.

Here is the COR manual, it is not compatible with your old 2 wire thermoatat, COR needs R, Y, W, G, and C terminals an entirely different configuration at the electronics level

We can go from there without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed , after you rate this answer:

Select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally.. and with over 8,000 questions answered here since 2009, with a 98.5% satisfaction rating.

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

.

Tell me a little about your technical background and instruments on hand so that I can coach you most effectively. We can go from here.