HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have an allegiance 10 serial number J 04230864 in a house…

Customer Question
I have an allegiance...

I have an allegiance 10 serial number J 04230864 in a house we just bought. The house has 5194 square foot of living space. My question is is this unit large enough to handle a house this big?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

Did I double check the thermostat for what? And where are the unit filters?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

You are answering my questions with questions. At this point I would say I am planning on doing the work myself.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Is this unit capable of cooling a 5000 square foot house?

Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 2 days by:
9/26/2017
HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 11 months ago
Michael Ferryman

Can you give me the model number please. Usually the model number will have your cooling rating in it. Should be the second block of numbers first 2 numbers will be the thousands of BTU that the unit will provide for cooling. The conversion is 12,000 but per ton, for a 5,000 square foot home you would in general need about 8 tons of cooling if your in a moderate climate. Where I am in AZ you would need about 10 tons or more of cooling to keep the space cool, and generally when the cooling load gets that high it would be split between two cooling units, for example two cooling zones each taken care of by a 5 ton cooling unit. Hope this helps let me know if you need untying further.

The model number
7A0060A100A0
HVAC Technician: Regan Land, HVAC Technician replied 11 months ago
Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to assist you. That is a 5-ton system. To determine whether or not it is large enough to cool your home we will need more info. What city do you live in (to get climate data)? How old is your home? What type of insulation is in the exterior walls, attic, and/or crawlspace? There are many other factors that go into determining heat load, such as direction house faces, ceiling heights, window sizes and types, exterior doors, partitions, etc, but those 3 should give us a good idea.

HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 11 months ago

A 5 ton unit is not large enough for a 5,000 square foot home. What part of the United States do you live in. You should have at least a 8 Ton unit regardless of insulation and the like.

HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 11 months ago
Did you need assistance still? Let me know. Don’t forget to rate please. Thank you for your time
HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 11 months ago

.