HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I'm replacing a Rite Temp 8050 with a Honeywell rth3100c

I'm replacing a Rite Temp...
I'm replacing a Rite Temp 8050 with a Honeywell rth3100c thermostat. I labeled the wires as I took them off the old it but the Honeywell terminals don't match. My wire colors are White, Yellow, Red, Green . The red was jumped between RH and RC.
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: The homeowner doesn't want to deal with a programmable T-stat anymore so I got this simpler one.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
9/23/2017
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, tell me please which color wire you attached to each lettered terminal on the new thermostat. Have you fit a jumper between Rc and Rh on the new thermostat,

We can go from there

I attached the White wire to the Aux and jumped that to the E terminal (per the instruction manual). Yellow to "Y", Green to "G", Red to "R". No jumper between Rc and Rh as these are not terminals on the Honeywell. There is only an R terminal.
Did I lose you?

Hello again, I have to come and go to handle a lot of different questions, I am back with your question now.

I think I may need to get a different T-stat with terminals for Rc and Rh to run heat and cooling. Does this sound right?

Click here please, wire as shown, no jumpers. let me know how it goes

I used grey to represent the white wire

Okay I'll give it a try without the jumper. I'll let you know tomorrow. Thanks.

Incidental background notes:

Honeywell unfortunately shows all the right wiring for a HEAT PUMP... you do not have a heat pump, you have a conventional system, and nowhere does honeywell define that thermostat as a heat pump only thermostat. These are errors of omission, that is unusual for Honeywell.

.

Furthermore they do not tell you anywhere how to wire the system for a CONVENTIONAL SYSTEM, as you have.

.

They DO have the W terminal that is only used in a conventional system though. So we can give it a try.... heat pumps do not use the W terminal, but do use the E, Aux and O/B terminals (your system uses none of those heat pump application terminals).

( The packaging does not limit the thermostat to either heat pump or conventional systems or both as virtually all of their other thermostats and all other manufacturers do.)

.

The only clue aside from Honeywell not mentioning that is might be a heat pump only thermostat is that they have only one R terminals, virtually all other thermostats for conventional systems have both an Rh and Rc terminal that need to be jumpered together for 98% of HVAC systems built.

----------------------

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally..

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer