HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Thermo Pride OL5-85 oil fired furnace with Riello…

I have a Thermo...

I have a Thermo Pride OL5-85 oil fired furnace with Riello F3 burner controlled by a 2 wire thermostat. Is there a switch or connection(s) I can make to turn the fan on for a short time, without the burner?

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

No problem, just want to turn the furnace fan on (only)

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Only to throw a switch or connect a few wires together (with power off)

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Only that I want to use the fan and air filter to filter air as I use a shop vac to blow air down the air intake register

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/22/2017
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

Do you have a G terminal on the furnace thermostat terminal strip?

No, old Honeywell manual round thermostat with black and white terminals / wires only

At the furnace not the thermostat

Thanks for the opportunity to call but let's continue chatting

call prompt is automatic. I have no control over it. We can continue here. You need to check where the thermostat leads connect to the furnace not the thermostat

The 2 wires from the thermostat connect to 2 wires (only) from the burner

The thermostat wires go directly to the burner control? If so I need a clearly focused picture wiring diagram of your unt. It's usually pasted to the back of the blower compartment panel.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Ok, you need a new thermostat that has a G terminal (virtually all new ones do) then run a lead from G on the thermostat to G on the fan center relay. Refer to wiring diagram. When you want to run the fan only you switch the fan switch on the new thermostat from AUTO to ON

Ok Rick, I can access all wiring from the thermostat to the furnace so it shouldn't be too difficult. I think that"s all I need for now. Thank you for your help. Damon.

You're welcome

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Thanks for using Just Answer

Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor