HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My sister has a Goodman Heat Pump. Does it have any audible…

Customer Question
My sister has a...

My sister has a Goodman Heat Pump. Does it have any audible alarms for malfunctioning or safety shutoffs for disabling unit? Recently she had water in the ceiling below the unit and it also warped the wood floors. The unit is in the attic. The home is less than two years old. The installer says someone must have hit the cap off and the builder says my sister should have had it maintained. What are the standards on your equipment for letting the owner know that there is a problem with the unit. also, the tray was full of water, is there supposed to be a pump to drain the water or a direct connection to a drain pipe or should there be a shutoff once water enters the tray?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

The filters were fine. The unit was running and eventually the water in the tray overtopped. we're trying to figure out where the water came from and what safety mechanisms should have been in place to protect her home.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

NO - trying to figure out what went wrong and who is responsible for the issues.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Did you read all the comments above? IS there a safety mechanism to shutdown the unit if the tray is full of water? Is there supposed to be a pump in the tray to discharge water that gets in the tray? Should an alarm gone off as the tray was filling with water?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/22/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 9 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

The installer should have put a float safety switch in main drain as well as pan if there is a safety pan under coil.That would shut the outdoor unit off to keep it from making water if there is a problem with draining.This falls back to a shoddy installation.

I do not know if she has an audible alarm, my question is should there be one on the system per installation requirements from Goodman.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I have to step away.I sent the offer you requested but never heard back.You should have a float switch that shuts unit off but nothing audible.