HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

The air handler for our hp will not come on, sometimes. When…

Customer Question
The air handler for...

The air handler for our hp will not come on, sometimes. When it doesn't, I can pull out the breaker and replace it and then it will start. What is wrong?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yes! HP comes on but fan does not.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Can't think of anything.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/22/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 11 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Could be a relay sticking.Does the outdoor always come on when you call for cool?

OK if outdoor stays running, we still have power to air handler as outdoor would not be getting signal if no power to air handler.It may be that when flipping breaker, you are touching a wire or vibrating something or perhaps resetting control board.

What is model on air handler ? Do you have a meter for troubleshooting?

FK4CNF005000AEAA, have a multimeter
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 10 months ago

Is it acting up at present?

The FK4CNF005000AEAA has what is called an ECM motor. An ICM2 is fed high voltage AC power through the 5-pin connector. The AC power is then rectified to DC by a diode module. After rectification, DC signal is electronically communicated and fed in sequential order to 3 stator windings. The frequency of these commutation pulses determines motor speed. The rotor is permanently magnetized. An ICM2 is powered with high voltage at all times. The motor will not run with high voltage alone. Low voltage must be applied to control plug to run motor.

Your issue can be either the bell controller or the board which signals bell controller.

The issue is most likley a bad bell controller.

These motors have a 10 year warranty so if less than 10 yeas old will be to your advantage to call dealer rather than go much further and risk voiding warranty.

Below are links to the procedures for testing windings and phase as well as a link to the required tester

I am happy to guide you if this is something you want to do yourself and can acquire the tester.Just let me know how you want to proceed.

https://www.gamut.com/p/motor-diagnostic-tool-ecm-motor-diagnostic-tool-for-ecm-motors-MzQ0MjY3?gclid=CjwKEAjw4IjKBRDr6p752cCUm3kSJAC-eqRtpV1jqI08Bg4ru9VOCuXDVQxYqlwQK7tBjC5MuqMmihoC1yvw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLiYmJLAwdQCFQ5mwQodY6UN7A

It is doing it more often, now. The unit is 20 yrs old. Hate to spend a lot of money on it, but don't want to install new one, either. Haven't worked on HVAC much, but dedicated DIYer.

You would be better off to replace the air handler than pay for parts for this thing if it is 20 years old.THat FK4C was a high end air handler 20 years ago. Blower and module run about 600 bucks, just module on motor about 500 and control board around 450 all wholesale so expect to pay a contractor doubl;e those prices.

Without being able to test with the ecm tester, you can throw a lot of money at this thing.

I don't mind telling people to guess and take a chance on which part it is when we are talking 12 dollar relays but hate telling ou to try board without knowing.

Aren't there any cheap relays on this one?

Unfortunately this one uses a high tech control nodule rather than the standard relays.All relyas are built into a solid state board

Is it possible to bypass the control module?
Can I bypass the control module?

Unfortunately not as the motor does not get just a standard 24 volt signal like it would from a relay.The board sends signals in various volts of ac or dc to determine speed