HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

40qca060791-103 indoor 38dxa165913 outdoor blowing 2 amp…

Customer Question
40qca060791-103 indoor 38dxa165913 outdoor...

40qca060791-103 indoor 38dxa165913 outdoor blowing 2 amp fuses indoor board

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Look just went to service unit and clean drain and look at the indoor board and thats it turn unit on and had a qiuck fault code could be e2 not sure and then all the power of the thermostat when off cheeck indoor and found 10 amp fuse blown and cicuit braker trip replace fuse and reset fuse and turn on and it run indoor fan ok after checking found that inddor fan is running with the unit turn off

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Not sure it very strange i did nothing to it thinking that the indoor board is faulty i replace board and then turn on and when the power is on now blow a 2amp fuse on the indoor board thing that the trasformer is faulty as well replace it as well and now still blowing a 2amp fuse so confused now

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Im hoping to do

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not sure what else i can tell you be greatfull if you can help

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/22/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 11 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Finding a short can be difficult. Easiest way to find is by process of elimination.If you can get several fuses, we can try different things until we no longer blow fuse to locate the short.

1.Disconnect all thermostat and outdoor unit control wires from the terminals on indoor unit control board.Turn power on to furnace and see if fuse blows.If it blows, the control board in unit is shorted and will need to be replaced.If not move to step 2.

2.Next I want you to connect those wires back one wire at a time turning power off and on to furnace after each one to see when fuse blows. Reconnect in this order

R G W Y and then C If you have C.(door switch has to be held in each time in order to have power to furnace.)

3. Go to outdoor unit. Disconnect the 2 control wires going to Y and C where they first enter the unit. Turn thermostat to call for ac. If fuse still blows we have a short in those wires between indoor and outdoor units.Could be chewed or skinned, possibly nicked by weed eater, etc. allowing wires to touch and create short.If it does not blow,we know short is inside of the outdoor unit.Move to next step.

4. Reconnect those 2 wires .Then locate the contactor relay in outdoor unit. Remove the small control wires on the contactor coil.Turn on AC.If fuse does not blow, the contactor coil is shorted and contactor will need to be replaced.If fuse still blows we know short is between where wires enter unit and the contactor.Move to next step.

5.Reconnect the contactor wires.Follow the control wires from where they enter unit and see what component may be in that circuit .(Pressure switches, time delay, defrost control board, etc).Follow same procedure of disconnecting wires to each of those controls and see if we find one that seems to cause fuse to blow when in circuit.Also look for any place the small control wires may be touch a hot gas copper line in unit that may have melted sheathing on wire and be allowing copper to ground to pipe.

Let me know what you find and we wlll go from here.

Ok txs for your response
Can you cal me

The website charges an extra fee for live phone calls as the tech is dedicating his time solely to your issue while on phone. Experts may be working on several questions at a time in chat.I am currently unable to accept phone call, but you can request phone call under the additional service and if a tech who can call is available, they will accept call.

Can you start by taking outdoor unit out of the picture by disconnecting control wires to it?

Ok will try that first

Let me know

Hi there buddy this indoor board has the letters R B E Y G L W2 C and wires are connected to this board
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 10 months ago

Disconnect the Y and C and see if fuse still blows