HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Trane XR80 that is an air conditioner and heater…

Customer Question
I have a Trane...

I have a Trane XR80 that is an air conditioner and heater unit. The trouble I am having is the unit will run in air conditioning mode or fan only mode and then shut off. It then will not start. After a day or so it will start again and run. It will run for a while and then shut off before reaching the temperature it was set to reach. It seems like it will run longer on cool days. I am wondering if a thermal overload switch is shutting it off. I can not heat the house, cool the house, or just run the fan. I am guessing a thermal switch is sensing it is getting to hot, shutting itself off, sensing its cooled down, and allowing it to run again until it gets hot again. I hear a bubbling sound when it shuts off. What noise is that? And is it normal?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Two filters located in different rooms are clean. But lots of dust is along the inside of the duct. Either previous owners ran the unit with no filter or dust is entering the unit from an unfiltered source. Thermostat will send a signal to the unit to start but nothing happens.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I hired a HVAC expert to look at it a year ago but it ran fine d

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It ran fine while he was here. I have been shutting the unit off and the turning it on when I need to cool that part of the house. This last time the unit ran for 20 minutes and then shut off and wouldn't run again even though I lowered the temperature settings to 65.

Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/22/2017
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 12 months ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Russ here. Check drain line and see if there is a float switch that may be tripping. It is located in drain line and has two wires attached. Also check to see if the furnace is blinking and error code. The light is located on the furnace board and you will be able to see it thru the small in fan housing bottom of furnace. Russ