HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We just paid a technician to fix our unit for air

Customer Question
We just paid a...

We just paid a technician to fix our unit for air conditioning outside but it still doesn't blow strong cold air on the upper level.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

It's a white Rodgers unit

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Well I think so, if we call back they'll probably charge us again

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We definitely need to go buy a new filter tomorrow, could that be the problem why the flow is so low on the upper level?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/22/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 10 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, first step is to put clean air filter in it.

If that is not sufficient it likely that the air ducts to the upstairs are too small especially if it has not worked well earler.

.

Use a thermometer to measure the air temperature inside one of the registers down stairs and one upstairs, then use the same thermometer to measure the air temperature at the return air grill, from those results I can assess if the the damper is closed or the system might be slightly over charged with refrigerant.

.

We can go from there without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed , after you rate this answer:

Select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally..

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.