HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

My high efficiency furnace is showing 3 flashes on the code

My coleman high efficiency furnace...
My coleman high efficiency furnace is showing 3 flashes on the code - says pressure switch stuck open - which switch is that?
JA: Did you check the furnace's filters?
Customer: yes
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: im a building contractor and have some experience with different furnaces, this one is a spare that i use in my garage, if the pressure switch is straight forward to fix I will otherwise i will call my friend who is a licensed plumber
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/21/2017
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You've confirmed that you have a draft issue. The question is do you have a bad switch or a weak fan or a blocked exhaust vent. You can check the vent for blockages and also the vac tubing connected to the switch. Be sure the tubing is not kinked, deteriorated or doesn't have water in it. You can also poke a paper clip into the port where the tubing connects but not into the switch connection. If all that checks out. Turn the power off to the unit wait a couple minutes then turn it back on. After the fan starts remove one of the leads from the pressure switch and connect it to the other lead. If the sequence continues then you may have a faulty pressure switch or possibly a weak fan. The next thing we would do is put a manometer on the exhaust to check the actual draft pressure but you aren't likely to have a manometer and they are expensive. Replacing the switch is one other option since it's less money than a manometer (or a new draft fan) and it is a likely culprit.
See attached for typical switch

Thanks this really helps - one side of the pressure switch is ruptured so i will replace it - thanks again

You're welcome. I'd appreciate a 5 star rating using stars at the top of the page. I don't get credit until you rate my service favorably

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor