HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I installed a carrier 38MGQF-36-6 mini split system for one…

Customer Question
I installed a carrier...

I installed a carrier 38MGQF-36-6 mini split system for one of my customers and he had all of the wiring done by an electrician who used solid romex wire, I know that's good for the feed but not between the evaps and the condensing unit. A good deep vacuum was pulled after nitrogen testing the line sets, I powered up the unit and a ^P6 code showed up on the evap sections of the system. I'm believe that the wires from condensing unit and the evaporators is what's keeping it off line.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

Remote stats and brand new evap units

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/21/2017
HVAC Technician: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 11 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

The P6 Error Code Definition: (Unit Size 36K – 42K) = Communication error between the inverter drive and main board. What size Romex wire was used?

12

Do you know the amp rating of the units? #12 will support up to 20amps.

The wire feeding the condenser is #10 romex and the wire feeding the evap sections is #14 3 romex the amp rating of the unit is 27 amp min circuit
10 handles 30 amp if copper wire and 14 handles 15 amp
Could the type of wire be the issue, being that it is solid unshielded wire that travels from the condensing unit to the evap sections. The condenser is located near the electric meter and incoming power.
Wire is wire regardless of how it is encased even romex has wires that are wrapped similar to off the reel
Romex is usually installed inside walls and ceiling not on the surface