HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have disconnected my series 12 boiler, from the

Customer Question
thermostat. It keeps kicking on...
I have disconnected my series 12 boiler, from the thermostat. It keeps kicking on and off?? What do I do?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/21/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 10 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your

issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

Is this a CG sries 12? where exactly did you disconnect the thermostat?

it is a CG series. I completely disconnected the thermostat. I have done more research, while waiting for your solutions. I am going in the direction of the relay switch. Thoughts?

Did you disconnect the thermostat leads from where they connect to the boiler? do you have electronic ignition or a standing (lit all the time) pilot?

Rick, I am at work right now. I disconnected the thermostat leads from the wall. It still kept calling for more heat. Which means, it would shut off, go to a certain level, then kick on again. I finally shut the gas off, it was 90 in my house. I would not be able to call, till after work or tomorrow.

Ok, when you get home the first thing to do is disconnect the thermostat leads at the boiler. They should be connected to the R & G terminals on the transformer next to the plug in boiler relay. If you only have 1 thermostat and this stops the boiler from cycling then you have a short in the thermostat wiring betwen the boiler and the thermostat. If you have more than 1 thermostat we'll have to troubleshoot this further. I'm online until ~ 7 pm ET. I'll respond as soon as I can when you get back.

Hey Rick, you around
Touched the wires together, for thermostat. It clicked at boiler. We tried it again, would not work. Tapped relay, it clicked again?

Could be a bad connection in the relay but if you only have one thermostat then the next time it runs when it shouldn't disconnect the leads I mentioned before.

We will lite it, and see what happens. Thanks

You're welcome

Hey Rick, we tried lighting it, pilot would not stay on. Replaced thermocouple. Still won't stay lite. Can you help. Very frustrated����

If you have a standing pilot (lit all the time) and a strong pilot flame that's enveloping the top ~1/3 of the thermo and you have a tight and dry (no pipe dope) connection at the gas valve and the pilot goes out when you release the button then you have a faulty gas valve. This is not related to the other problem.