HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Our AC Repairman has replaced our compressor two times in…

Customer Question
Hello - Our AC...

Hello - Our AC Repairman has replaced our compressor two times in the last 3 months - everytime there is an electrical storm the compressor seems to die. Rheem does not want to replace the compressor again under warranty. We replaced our main house circuit panel this weekend - not sure if that was a cause, but the mains were warm to the touch

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

About three months - but when power went off when Irma hit - the compressor is dead again

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No I have a Professional Tech who has been dealing with Rheem but they are not answering phones and he has to go there to speak with them -

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Our whole Rheem system inside and out was replaced by us 7 years ago

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/20/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 8 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, your technician might be one of the best 10% in the business, or one of least competent in the business... that is the primary focus when I see this sort of thing, I suspect the latter.

.

That is because electrical storms can ruin the compressor *run capacitor ($60 easy to replace) but very rarely will ruin the compressors... long before these storms will ruin a compressor they will ruin the capacitor or the electronic controls.

I can work with you on this without a time limit, but in the end you will need to be connected with a well qualified local outfit.

If you can tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest larger town or city. i can get you a short list.

.

We can go from there without a time limit after you rate this answer:

Select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally..

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

.

Tell me a little about your technical background and instruments on hand so that I can coach you most effectively. We can go from here.

Well I have a tech from KAR A/C who has done the work. Last summer we had a lizard crawl in an short out the capacitor. The three months ago power went on and off and I heard a pop and the compressor would not come on. They replaced the compressor. The two months ago same thing happened but when I turned on the circuit breaker outside the whole compressor sparked and blew up blowing out all its gas. They replaced the compressor again. The last week with Irma the compressor again failed. and we have not had AC since.
I am just looking for alternative things that my tech may not bee looking at as to why the compressor keeps failing. As I said, I had replaced the house's main circuit panel because the Mains were warm to the touch.
Any thoughts?
ok bye

Hello again, I must come and go to handle many questions at a time, I can't stand by.

We can go from here if you wish.

You need a few lightning rods for your house, and a device that most utillity companies will fit behind to your electric meter to interrupt power surges, $5 a month extra in some cases.

We can go from there without any sort of time limit,

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer