HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Burnham Series 2 Model Gas fired Boiler (205). The…

I have a Burnham Series...
I have a Burnham Series 2 Model B Gas fired Boiler (205). The Blocked vent switch has tripped twice per year over the last few years. Had switch replaced. Had chimney checked. I also have an indirect water heater attached, not sure if that matters. The vent is 6 inches but the Chimney liner is 5 inches. Chimney is about 30ft high, one 90 degree and 2 45 deg bends not that far. Chimney guy wants to replace liner with a 6 inch liner for $1600. Could it be due to lack of fresh air in the boiler room? I have a 4 inch fresh air vent near ceiling but it is always very hot in that room when I enter it. The room is about 10x10ft. I am wondering if I should put some vents in the bottom of the boiler room door and possibly the basement door as well. They are always closed. Any ideas other than spending the money on a larger liner which I read somewhere could make the back draft worse but allowing the hot air to cool sooner before leaving the chimney. Thanks
9/20/2017
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

A 5" liner may be sized properly. I'd be skeptical of the chimney guy if he didn't size the liner according to the code requirements in NFPA 54 (national gas code). However you don't have enough air for combustion unless that 4" fresh air has a fan on it. That's one possible fix. Install a "fan in a can" fresh air intake fan which uses a 4" vent for intake. Vent in the bottom of the door may not give you enough combustion air.

Thanks. Can you recommend a specific can? Are these cans "always on"? There is an outlet near to the vent I can plug it in too. So, you don't think if I open up the fresh air vent from 4 to 6 inches and put an 18''x12'' open vent in the door won't work, since it may be the cheaper option to start? My brief look up of "fan in a can" show $300. Thanks

Fan only runs when boiler fires. I can't say if the door grill is adequate without knowing the size of the adjoining space (sq ft + height) that can't be closed off by another door.

Adjoining basement space is 20x20ft but closed off with another door to the first floor. Could I put a 18x12 open vent on the door leading to the basement as well as leading into the boiler room. These are things that I can do affordably. Otherwise, I need to get an HVAC guy into install the fan. Thanks

Do you want me to do the combustion air calcs? If so I need the height of the basment ceiling

ok, height of ceiling is approx 7 feet. thanks

Input for this boiler is 130k btu. With the grill in the door (no matter how big) and the 4" round outdoor vent you only have enough air for 80K. So you need another 40 sq inch of outdoor vent area or a fan in a can. This assumes the boiler is the only gas burning appliance in that room. if you have a gas water heater too add another 20 square inches to the outside vent.
I'd appreciate a favorable rating

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
I will look into having one installed. The burner is the only gas appliance in the room. The hot water is indirect heat from same boiler. Thank you for your time and expertise.

You're welcome