HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My problem started with the thermostat running continually…

Customer Question
Hello...my problem started with...

Hello...my problem started with the thermostat running continually during the day and shutting off at night. AC company came in and added Freon but problem continued. They replaced the unit and air handler but mixed the manufacturers and problem continued. They changed thermostat a few times. Problem remained. Told me to seek someone else. New company comes in, talks to Lennox who says to change air handler to Lennox which was done. Same problem exists. Duct work checked, insulation good but thermostat continues to run all day beginning around 11:00 a.m. until 8:pm non-stop with temperature climbing to degrees into the 80s. Drain line cleaned also. Unit, air handlers and thermostats are new. I have spent a lot of money and still have the problem of the thermostat not cyclying on and off. This has been going on since June 22, 2017. Please help!

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yes. Everything is brand new even filter.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

The work was done by two AC companies. I am not sure

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I'm trying to get a solution to the problem. I thought the AC company should have been able to do that but they have not.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/20/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 9 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, that is a truly amazing story! Its hard to fathom what might be going on. however I generally sort these things out, it might take some time.

So far it sounds like the system has few too many ounces of refrigerant it it, and that error has been repeated throughout the other work.

70% chance that is accurate (not 100%)

.

We need to do a few tests.

test #1 Poke a thermometer deep into one of the cold air supply vents in one of the rooms, with the system set for cooling and the outside unit running... wait 5 minutes and tell me what the temperature is. then use the *same thermometer to measure the room temperature, we are looking for 15 to 20F differential between the two temperatures. If its lower than that, we have found at least one of the problems (system is over charged with refrigerant).

Test #2 open the outside unit enough that you can see the big black roundish compressor inside, tell me if its sweating or running cool to the touch.... if it is, the system is over charged.

.

We can go from there without a time limit after you rate this answer:

Select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally..

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

.

Tell me a little about your technical background and instruments on hand so that I can coach you most effectively. We can go from here.