HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Our Jotul gas stove vents out the side of the house and is…

Customer Question
Our Jotul gas stove...

Our Jotul gas stove vents out the side of the house and is blackening the siding. What's wrong with the stove>

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

At one the stove was vented through the roof, so if there was a soot problem, we didn't know it. We moved the stove 7 years ago to another corner; vented it out the side, and problems began 3 years ago.

Contractor's Assistant: Have you talked to a roofing professional yet?

No. I'm not sure we want to vent through the roof again; we plan sell the house, but have to do something about the soot. Is there some other way to vent the stove without going through the roof.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

NO! Unhandy Andy is what we are

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Let me see if I can give you the stove model #

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/20/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 10 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The gas air mix is off. Either there is too little air for combustion or the gas manifold pressure is too high. You'll need to consult a gas technicin and have him check the combustion parameters.