HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Little over a year, depends, first time homebuyers

Customer Question
Little over a year ...

Little over a year

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

First time homebuyers

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: HVAC
We have one ac unit outside but two thermostats, one up and one down, in our townhome. we can get the downstairs one to sink up with the temp we set it at but the upstairs one is usually right on the money. i feel that it is killing our power bill and i need to know what to do to fix it. this is our first time owning a house so we do not know what to do.
9/20/2017
HVAC Technician: Regan Land, HVAC Technician replied 11 months ago
Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to assist you today. It sounds like you have a zone system - that means two different thermostats control a single system. If that's the case, there would be two dampers that will open/close to provide air to the proper areas. Let's start by making sure the dampers are opening and closing like they should. Turn the upstairs thermostat off and the downstairs thermostat on (cool) and see if there is air blowing out of the vents upstairs. Let me know what you find.

Ok will do. I’m at work right now but I will get my fiancé to do it when she gets home this afternoon

Okay, thank you.

Good afternoon. Did you or your wife have a chance to do the test above?