HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a ARCOAIRE RPJ II furnaced installed 10+ years ago. A…

Customer Question
I have a ARCOAIRE...

I have a ARCOAIRE RPJ II furnaced installed 10+ years ago. A change of tenant required local gas co to to turn service back on. Inspector refused because the existing (plastic) pipe had been recalled because it would eventually "crumble" and allow CO in the apartment. I hired a licensed contractor who replaced the pipe with with Sch 40 DWV PVC pipe. The inspector again refused to turn on service because the replacement pipe is also not to code. Local HVAC suppliers don't understand because PVC is what they sell to contractors and they use to do their own work. A dealer in Carmel NY checked into this for me and told me that the Sch 40 PVC is permitted with this 92.1 unit. What other information is available that will prove or disprove that this material is appropriate for venting the furnace?

Contractor's Assistant: Are you an HVAC professional?

I am a landlord

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Required work will be performed by a licensed professional

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That's essentially it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/19/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 11 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If this unit is a 90%+ efficient unit then it can be vented with solid sch 40 PVC. If the installer used foam core sch 40 PVC then it is non-compliant.

Do you have more questions?