HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Lennox model 51M 39 thermostat installed with a new…

Customer Question
I have a Lennox...

I have a Lennox model 51M 39 thermostat installed with a new Lennox system when our house was built (01/2011). The screen display died & the system won't operate now. Is there a battery that can be replaced or do I need to replace the thermostat. If I need a new thermostat do you have a suggestion as to a model (we're retired & don't do the wifi stuff). Thanks for your help.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Pretty sure its just the thermostat.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Probably if its a straightforward swap out of the thermostat; i can read a wiring diagram & replaced the old thermostat in our old house with a programmable one successfully.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Don't think so. I'd prefer a model with touch screen rather than buttons like this one has; a little tough to read.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/19/2017
HVAC Technician: Regan Land, HVAC Technician replied 8 months ago
Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to assist you today. There is not a battery in that thermostat unfortunately, but before we call it a bad stat we need to check and make sure there is power getting to the thermostat from the indoor unit. Before we begin let me ask a few questions:

1. Do you feel comfortable removing the face of the thermostat to expose the wiring? This is low voltage and won't hurt you.
  2. Is the indoor unit accessible?
  3. Do you have a gas furnace or electric air handler?

I never received a reply, so I'm just checking in - Would you like to continue?

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer