HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Nordyine funace Everything works as it should

Customer Question
I have a Nordyine...

I have a Nordyine funace Everything works as it should except when it shuts off it will not restart on its own with turning the power switch on and turning it back on again. We cleaned the flame sencer We han a spare therme coil and tried it. The whole sequence of event are as should be ie. call for heat from thermostat , inducer moter start, thermo coil heats up, gass turns on. fires up, thermo coil cools off, then runs for a few minutes but wii not refire when the temperture dops down to point it should kick in again. What else can In chech for? The trans former is putting out 24 volts, 24 volts, at the pressure switch. What else can it be.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

The filters are the 1st thing we looked at and replace. the thermostat is a brand new electronic one that he can set with his phone. and it works when we set it 5 degrees above the house temp. But we have to manualy turn the switch off then on. Just pull the wires off leading from the transformer and reinstall. We know the the polarity is correct for these wires

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I'm trying to do the work myself

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Is there batteries in the thermostate? Thermostate seem to be working as should be

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/19/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 11 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, it sounds like the high limit switch is tripping (50% chance) if the furnace runs longer than 5 minutes. To test that fit a temporary jumper around it if the furnace keeps running replace the high limit switch. DO NOT LEAVE THE HIGH TEMPERATURE SWITCH JUMPERED DO THAT ONLY FOR A BRIEF TEST NO LONGER THAN 5 MINUTES.

If the furnace runs for less than 20 seconds then the printed circuit board may not be pick up the signal from the flame sensor rod.

You can do a heat stress test on the printed circuit board, warm it up to 125F slowly and gently using a hair drier, if anything changes for the better or worse the board is bad.

.

We can go from there without a time limit after you rate this answer:

Select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally..

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

.

Tell me a little about your technical background and instruments on hand so that I can coach you most effectively. We can go from here.