HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I work at a church with 5 units some of which are 2 stage I…

I work at a...

I work at a church with 5 units some of which are 2 stage I am told. I don't want a thermostat that will make decisions. I have a nest and it changes the temp some times the wrong direction without my permission. I want the best wifi enabled thermostat I can buy. I like gadgets but want control. I was wondering about the Vision Pro 8000 wifi or redlink. What do you recommend?

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Thermostat. the units are 15 ton, and 7.5 ton York units.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No. I will have a commercial pro do the work

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I want to control it with my phone even if I am not there.

9/19/2017
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, the red link is wireless, you do not need that for the control you want and it adds complexity and failure points that you do not need. The Vision Pro 8000 is not wifi so I will have to locate a wifi version for you

Here is the manual on it.

.

We can go from there without a time limit after you rate this answer:

Select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally..

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

.

Tell me a little about your technical background and instruments on hand so that I can coach you most effectively. We can go from here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was looking at the Vision Pro TH-8321 WS which is wifi enabled and the TH-8321 R which is redlink. I am guessing you are saying that the redlink doesn't attach to wires from the thermostat that is there but is wireless back to some type of controller or connection point. I called Honeywell to see what they recommended and they recommended the TH-8321 R.

Honeywell like most manufacturers likes selling their latest and most expensive....nothing wrong with that, it is just that the wireless feature adds complexity you might wish you did not have.

Here is the manual on redlink

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
under what circumstances would you recommend the redlink?

I would recommend the red link on new construction but only if all of the system components were also compatible with red link, but with reservations, the more complex a system is the harder and more expensive it is to find qualified repair people

I would recommend red link if there were not sufficient wiring already pulled for the hard wired version.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Got it. Thanks for your patience. Have a good night.

Its time to select the 'Finish and rate your expert...' link near the top of the page to close the question, that is also the only way the company pays me for time. Thanks in advance

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer