HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a 1.1/2 year old Noritz on demand hot water tank that

consistently delivers very rusty hot...
I have a 1.1/2 year old Noritz on demand hot water tank that consistently delivers very rusty hot water. The city water department has determined that it is not their lines that are causing this. So I had a filter put on the water line coming in from the street before it gets to the Noritz. I want to get this stopped so that my laundry can avoid the rust stains. there are 3 showers in my house as well. They all deliver very disgusting rusty water for the first 5 minutes of running time. Help!!
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: It has been going on since the unit was installed in my new home in January of 2016.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have had the HVAC contractor back 3 times to see if he could solve the problem. So far not luck. One issue that may affect one of the bathrooms is that it is on the lowest level of my 3 story home. This shower does not get used regularly. The other two as well as the laundry and kitchen get used daily.
9/18/2017
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello we can start by your telling me what kind of water pipe you see in the home... is it galvanized steel? Plastic tubing or copper tube or a mix of those... if there is any galvanized pipe in the home then that will most likely be the problem.... rust in the city mains is quite uncommon.

Let me know, we can go from there.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally..

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

.

Tell me a little about your technical background and instruments on hand so that I can coach you most effectively. We can go from here.

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Most of the plumbing is pex and copper. No galvanized pipes that I know of.
Phone call session started

It was a distinct pleasure talking to such a sharp young lady as yourself on the phone, you will get an email notice of this response, save that and click on the link in the email to get back to me with the test results.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer