HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Reznor natural gas unit heater in my garage. I will…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a Reznor natural gas unit heater in my garage. I will set it to heat mode, and a pilot is lit, the main burner will light, but the fan will not start.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

I double checked the settings, and the filters would have nothing to do with the fan's start/stop control

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If its a relatively easy fix, then yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just that everything seems to be working fine except for the fan. I'm not sure if the motor is gone or if I just maybe need to replace a fuse

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/18/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 11 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your

issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation. If you have a multi-meter check for voltage to the fan motor after the burner fires up. If you have 120 volts then replace the motor. If not I need the model number of your unit if you want to trouble shoot this further.

The model number of the unit is XL-60-3.
It does say on the nameplate 115 volts, single phase, 60 Hz. So I would assume replacing the motor is what needs to be done.

You need to check the voltage to the fan motor. Only if you have voltage after the burner has fired up can you be sure it's the motor.

If you need more troubleshooting help then get back to me after you test the motor voltage. I'll respond as soon as I can. If you don't have any more questions

I'd appreciate a favorable rating. The thread won't go away and I'll answer related follow up questions even after you rate me favorably

I dont have a multimeter at the house right now, but I will test that when I get the chance.

Ok.

Do you have more questions?