HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Model rhsl-hm3617ja, the drain pan fill with water and

Customer Question
Model rhsl-hm3617ja Contractor's Assistant:...

Model rhsl-hm3617ja

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

The drain pan fill with water and leaked through the ceiling. do i need to replace the float switch?

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

I emptied the water and appears to be working ok now

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If i can see a drawing of the unit i can do it myself

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The unit was installed 5/13/14. is the part under warrenty?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/18/2017
HVAC Technician: Iohn Keffer, HVAC Technician replied 8 months ago
Iohn Keffer
Iohn Keffer, HVAC Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you, it is most likely, The drain pipe is plug and the float is defective. or you have float switch & pump combined. but it needs to be checked out to be sure.

i unpluged the drain and removed water from the drain pan. it appears to be working ok now. if i had a drawing of the float switch i could replace it my self if necessary. i was told the float switch would dosconnect power tp the thermostat . this did not happen.

That is true the pump shuts the unit Since that float switch didn't shut down the unit trace the wires they might not be hookup while you do that I will see if I can fin a wiring diagram so you hook it up. let me know what you find.

the unit is in the crawl space in the attic. Is any way to check the circuit from the thermostat?

The pump is between the xfmr and the t'stat. It would be connected in the in the attic. What I do is go in the attic early in the morning. I would buy a float switch just in case. If you are good open the brown t'stst cable wire very carefully cut about 4 inches of the brown cover. Cut the red wire add the pump wire one to each wire.Wire nut and tape cover with black tape Story you will have to open the unit to find out were the present float is connected. below is Germanic install

Step 1

Turn off the power to the appliance the float switch protects. If the float switch operates in an air conditioner's drain line, then turn off the air conditioner circuit beaker displaying a "furnace" or "air handler" label. If the float switch operates a pump, then either unplug the pump from its wall outlet or turn off the appropriate circuit breaker.

Step 2

Remove 3/8 inch of insulation from the two float switch leads and the two wires to which the float switch connects. Use wire strippers for that task.

Step 3

Twist the end of one float switch lead around the end of the wire that connects to the power source. Then cover them with a wire nut. If the float switch protects an air-conditioning system, disconnect the furnace's transformer wire that connects to the red thermostat wire, and then connect the float switch lead to the transformer's wire. If the float switch operates a pump, connect the lead to the wall outlet's plug wire or the wire connected to the circuit breaker.

Let me Know.

thank you, ***** *****

Rating gives feed back and credit to my account for assisting you. Thanks.

Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer