HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We just had a Hurricane with multiple back to back power…

Customer Question
We just had a...

We just had a Hurricane with multiple back to back power surge. My Thermostat is stuck at 61 degrees. We cannot adjust. Please help.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

I think it is the Thermostat

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I suppose.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Do you think it maybe the batteries. I did turn the breaker off for 30 min and still no change.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/17/2017
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 11 months ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Russ here. What is make and model number of thermostat. Russ

Where do I find model number?
IF80-261...???

One moment.

Press up and down buttons and time button at same time. That will reset thermostat. Let me know. Russ

Nothing happened?

Press and hold for 3 seconds at least. Her is manual for your thermostat.

Page 7 in manual on reset. Russ

Tried it and still didn't change.
I took out batteries and it still reads 61

If reset does not work you have bad thermostat. I live on Florida Gulf Coast and I have replaced about 12 this week from power surges due to Hurricane. Russ

OMG... Is it easy to replace?

Yes very easy. You can do it no problem. Just turn power off to thermostat before you start with wires. You can get a replacement at Lowes or Home Depot. I suggest going back with Honeywell. They take the surges better. Most of the thermostats I replace are White Rogers or Lux Pro. Russ

If you have a problem just get back with me. Russ Open box for rating.

Okay so... I shut the breaker off and was unscrewing the screws and it went blank. It is working now. Thank You!
No need to replace at this time.

Great. Just hope it does not lockout again. I will open rating box. Russ