HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Got a new rheem water tank 63 gal. model xe6oto6st45bo it…

Customer Question
Got a new rheem...

Got a new rheem water tank 63 gal. model xe6oto6st45bo it came with a inlet nipple for hot water but not one for the cold water to remove the plug iyou have to use a 1/2 inch socket extension my problem is it is very tight ...am worried about putting too much pressure on it

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

I am trying to hook a new tank and the plug where tou hook up the cold wqter is very tight how much torque can i put on it ?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes i have finfised all of it, only have to hook up the cold water

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Like i said ..where you hook up the cold water to the tank there is plug in there... i need to remove that plug to put in nipple the plug is really tight how much torque can i use to loosen it ?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
9/16/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 1 year ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You don't have to remove a plug to access the cold inlet and it would be 3/4" not 1/2". I'm striking out with that model number. Can you post a pic here of the tank?
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
on the top of the tank there is normally two nipples to hook up the cold and hot water... on this new rheem the have one installed for hot water but not one for the cold water..where it goes on the top of the tank , there is an out let marked hot water but instead of a nipple to hook the water line there is plug in the hole and no other hot water outlet on the tank my problem is that plug is tight ...I don't want break it with too much torque...

Cold water is an inlet not an outlet. I need a pic

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my first time trying this system and will be my last seems to me you are making this a lot harder than it really is

There is no listing anywhere for the model number you gave me. So I have no idea what you're referring to. I've never heard of such a thing and I've literally installed thousands of water heaters in 45+ years in the business. I'm completely blind here except for what you tell me and your description isn't helping. If you can't provide a picture I can't help you