HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Thermostat has not power. Checked breaker on inside breaker…

Customer Question
Thermostat has not power...

Thermostat has not power. Checked breaker on inside breaker panel and outside breaker panel. They all look good. My brother says the thermostat is powered by the A/C unit, so it is probably something broken inside the A/C unit that is causing not power to thermostat.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Just a couple days ago A/C was working.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I could without getting electrocuted and using just basic tools (no HVAC specific tools).

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I thought it was the thermostat so I bought a new one and installed it but that one doesn't work either, so I know it must be something else.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/16/2017
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 11 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

This may seem unrelated but bear with me....the indoor blower unit...does it drain to a pump, floor drain etc?

The thermostat is connected to what they call a "packaged unit". There is no indoor blower unit.

Thank you.

Do you have a make and model?

HOld on and I will check. I want to say Bryant but I will check to make sure

if you take the panel off where thermostat wire enters...see if there is a circuit board with blinking light also

It is a Bryant, but I don't see a model number anywhere
What panel are you talking about? The whole cover over the compressor?

no, the panel where the main wiring enters the unit

OH. Will that be where the wire from the outside breaker box enters the unit?

correct

OK. May take me a while to do that, but if you will hold I will do that. Is there an electric shock risk of doing that?

you will turn off the power switch at the unit...remove doors...plus you can post any pics and I can draw and direct

OK, give me a few minutes (maybe 10) to do that.

take your time.

OK, got the panel off. on the inside of the panel is a closed box (about the size of a pack of cigarettes. The wires go into that box? Do I need to open that box also.

can you post a pic..and I can direct

use the "attach files" link and they will pop up here for me

I did. It looks like they got sent.
By the way, there is a metal cable that comes off the breaker that goes into the panel and a couple of very thin black wires. I am noticing one of the thin wires has exposed copper (the covering has worn off).
Sorry, the thin wires don't come off the breaker. They look like they are coming out of the back panel and going into the main A/C unit.

We could be dealing with a 220v issue or a 24v issue.

I was hoping to see pics so I could decide which way we wanted to test.

If you didn't get pics, I can resend. I hit the "Add files" button next to the Red SEND button, then added the pics. and hit send again.
You still there?

did you get my pic link of tracing the red wire..I drew an arrow at it

No, Was the pic sent to my email? There are several emails from you but none of them have an attachment.

select the link in blue

CLICK HERE

OK, got it. Give me a few minutes and I will try to trace wire. There is a jumble of wires in the case. I will take pics

understood.

I didn't see where inside the A/C unit the red wire connects because I don't have the whole cover off the A/C

follow the link again

CLICK HERE

I have to go offline for a bit....but in the meantime....I need to know if the main power (220v) is getting to the outdoor unit.

And then if that red wire goes to a circuit board

OK. I will have to open the whole cover to see where the red wire goes. I don't know how to check if unit is getting 220v power. The breaker is still off.
By the way, there were only two screws holding the A/C cover. There are a bunch of holes on the cover, where screws probably go but they were missing. Wonder if someone disconnected red wire. WE had an A/C technician at house about 5 days ago to work on other unit, but we think the unit was working up until yesterday.
I didn't connect any of the wires. I want you to tell me where they go.
Hello. Are you still there?
hi, pls opt out
HVAC Technician: Regan Land, HVAC Technician replied 11 months ago
Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician

Hello - It looks like Billy got tied up. Are you still in need of assistance?

Okay, I'll see if I can help you get things going. The red and blue wires you took a photo of are high voltage wires. They are spare wires that go to the motor for other speeds. They are supposed to remain disconnected. Can you take a good photo of the entire board?
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. A LOT has happened since Billy. I did some internet searching and looking inside AC case. Discovered the fuse on the board was blown. Replaced it and, Voila, the AC started working. Here is where it gets weird. I was replacing the cover on the unit (I can kick myself for not Turning off breaker while doing it), the unit was running and something happened to cause a short circuit. I saw a bright flash, a loud pop and the outside breaker flipped. I reset the breaker but the unit will not start. It is a packaged unit so fan won't come on either. Even weirder, about an hour later we discovered the other unit (the upstairs unit) compressor will not come on. The fan works but not the compressor. The outside breaker box has breakers for both units. The upstairs unit breaker didn't flip. Somehow the short circuit affected both units. I called an AC tech who just arrived. I think it is the breaker box. By the way, the pic I sent of the red wire was the wrong red wire. I traced the right red wire that Billy wanted and it is connected. I am at work so I can't take pictures. I will let you know what tech says.
Forgot to mention: after the short circuit I checked fuse on the board and it is fine.
AC technician got everything working. We had a "secret" breaker that tripped. Only thing wrong now is unit is leaking freon. Said we may have 1-2 years left on this unit.
I think we can say bye for now.
Okay, I'm happy you were able to get everything fixed! Let us know if you need any assistance in the future.