HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My Honeywell thermostat is flashing "cool on" but it isn't…

Customer Question
My Honeywell thermostat is...

My Honeywell thermostat is flashing "cool on" but it isn't running the a/c. My thermostat is set for 71 but the current temperature in my house is 76. I just got home from work, so I don't know when the a/c last ran. The thermostat was installed one year ago, with my new furnace. The a/c unit is maybe 10 years old.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

O

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I'm guessing specific to thermostat. Haven't had any trouble with the a/c in recent years.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Normally my hvac reacts very promptly to changes in the thermostat.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/16/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 11 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, most thermostats can be gently pried from its wall mounted sub base, exposing the wire connections.... tell me what color wire goes to each terminal and use the 'add files' link to send me a photo of those connections and I will guide you through the first of several steps in the trouble shooting process.

You should have a multimeter to measure voltages.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally..

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

thanks,

Replace the battery(s) in the thermostat.

If that fails, use a bent paper clip wire to make a U shapped jumper and connect the R and Y terminals together, if the air conditioning comes on you know that the thermostat was bad....if the AC does not come on you know there is a problem inside the AC/ furnace system that needs professional attention.

.

If you need me to search for a well rated repair outfit in your area tell me which direction you are from the center off the nearest city and and I will look one up for you.

Connecting the terminals did nothing. The heat won't run either, so the issue does seem to be the thermostat, because my a/c and heater are separate systems that just use the same ventilation ducts.
I also replaced the batteries in the thermostat. No change.

thanks, ***** ***** is with the equipment itself, time to call in a local pro if you know one.

If you need help finding a trust worthy outfit, tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city and and I will locate a well rated outfit for you