HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I am confused and need help wiring my carrier infinity

Customer Question
I am confused and...

I am confused and need help wiring my carrier infinity system. it has the furnace, AC, and multizone damper controler. all items have the ABCD wiring. in what order do i connect one to the other?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Why

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes i dont think the installer did the proper job. he didnt know the newer equipement and after a week the system gave a :indoor comunication fault" fault code 178...i want to check all the wires

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have model numbers if that helps thermostat

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/15/2017
HVAC Technician: Regan Land, HVAC Technician replied 11 months ago
Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer - my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to assist you today. Take a look at the following picture. Your thermostat and other components may be different, but wiring will still be the same.

Thank you for the reply. So far that is what is in my book. But how does the connection work from furnace to AC? Abcd goes from zone controller to furnace abcd, but then where does the abcd connection on the compressor connect in the furnace? On the same abcd block? Or does it too connect on the same block on the zone controller? I'm under the impression you shouldn't double wires in these connections.

You will double wire at the zone controller - One set will go to the air handler and the other will go to the outdoor unit. The units will communicate between the A & B terminals.

Gotcha! Thanks for the help

No problem! If you are satisfied would you do me a favor and rate my services by clicking the stars at the top of the chat? Thank you for using Just Answer!

I wanted to confirm one final time because the schematic and what you say seem to contradict a bit. The schematic shows the first "abcd" set goes to the thermostat, And the second "abcd" set goes to the air handler and outdoor unit....is this correct? How could it communicate to multiple devices on the same terminals? If this is not correct please let me know where I am making the mistake in understanding.
Sorry, I do have a typo above - I said you will double wire at the zone controller, but meant you will double wire at the indoor unit. So yes, first set of terminals go to the thermostat - second set go to indoor unit then from indoor unit to outdoor unit. Connecting multiple devices to the same terminals works because each component has its own unique electronic signature (or address), which allows the controller to recognize all the parts and coordinate their operation. It's much like a computer, except with HVAC the components are far away instead of contained in a laptop or desktop.

Just checking in to see if you have any additional questions. If not, could you please rate my services? Thank you so much!

I'm just checking in one last time to see if everything was okay. I do not receive credit for my time if you don't accept an answer and/or rate my services. If you don't want to pay then that's fine, but let me know so I can request a refund of your deposit and close this question. Thanks in advance.