HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Condenser fan running compressor not running or humming.

Customer Question
Checked capacitor it's good. Checked...
Condenser fan running compressor not running or humming. Checked capacitor it's good. Checked contact it's also good. Pills in by its self and has just over 240. Could it possibly be something in the inside unit? Wife said that a/c guy changed something out about 6 year so ago but unfortunately that guy passed away and have no way of finding out. Family friend. It's a goodman cplt36-1b unit. Read were the compressor is supposed to have a lifetime warranty but how would I go about getting one if it's been discontinued?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/15/2017
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 11 months ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Russ here. Take top off unit and feel compressor to see if it is hot. Turn power off first. Capacitor could still be bad. Let me know if compressor is hot. Russ

It's not. Did that last night
Actually not at home right now at work

If you have voltmeter check and make sure you have 220 volts at top of contractor. If you do have 220 at top of contractor. Open top of unit and remove the cover going to terminals and see if you have a wire burnt off terminal. Russ

Check back with you this afternoon after work ok. Russ