HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I am trying to figure out why my refrigerator/freezer will…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to figure out why my refrigerator/freezer will not cool.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

GC5NHAXSB00 I believe it is 10-11 years old.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Hold one sec

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/15/2017
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 8 months ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Russ here. What is make of refrigerator. Usually a problem with cooling in a refrigerator is bad defrost heater or board. Check the freezer section and see if there is I build up near the fan. Russ

Hi Russ,
The model number is ***** their is no build up of anything anywhere, the tech that came out to look at it said the invertor board was bad, part number W10629033, I have an account at the part store so I bought the part and replaced it. Replacing the invertor board did not fix the problem. What should I do?

If this a side by side refrigerator it is going to fan,defrost heat or defrost switch. Does fan and compressor run. Russ

The fan is running, but I don't think the compressor is running.

Can you feel the compressor and see if it is hot. The defrost termination switch turns off the compressor when in defrost. You have replaced board the only other thing it could be is defrost termination switch or thermostat. Russ

The compressor is hot as hell and running.

Make sure fan is running inside. If it is I still think it is the defrost heater. Russ

I do not feel any air blowing inside the freezer or the refrigerator. You still think it is the defrost heater?

The only was you can tell is remove back panel in freezer and check to see if fan and defrost heater is ok. If compressor is running and fan is not it has to be iced up. If compressor is running and unit is not iced up you have a leak insisted. The fan will not come on till the evaperator temp is below 32 degrees. Russ

Have a leak in what?

Refrigeration system. Not cooling could be bad defrost board,bad compressor,leak in system,bad defrost heater or bad defrost termination switch. Compressor runs,you replaced board. Fan is not running. Need to pull back panel off the inside of freezer. 6 screws I think hold it in. easy to remove. We need to check fan and coil to see if fan spins free and unit is not iced up. Russ

Russ,I don't know what to do. I started this conversation with you to fix the problem myself and in the meantime I also hired a repair man to look at the problem. Today he looked at the system and he is telling me the refrigerator has a coolant leak, but I asked him if he put a gauge on it and he said he did not and cannot put a gauge on it because it does not have a fitting. He said he figures it is out of coolant because the upper line is not hot?, but I had turned off the unit off yesterday because the compressor was so hot I worried it would burn up, he may have not waited very long for it to get hot. This is a 3,500.00 refrigerator so I would like to exhaust all my options before scrapping it. Should I go by after work and take the back panel off as you suggest or do I trust that this repair guy knows what he is talking about and continuing trouble shooting with you? Where is this upper line? Is it under the panel you are asking me to remove?

I understand you wanted to repair it yourself. It is easy to change defrost board,defrost heater and termination switch. Getting into refrigeration system is completely different. This is something you can not do yourself. The line he is talking about is the discharge line and it should be hot as long as compressor is running. The reason your compressor was so hot was that the unit did not have enough refrigerant to cool compressor. If there is a leak in system it would be difficult to repair. Most service tech will not attempt to find a leak because it may require taking the system apart. Russ

it sounds like I am wasting time and money working on it anymore, I should dump it and move on.

If you have leak in system yes dump it and move on. It would cost as much as a new refrigerator to repair with labor parts and refrigerant. Russ

Thank you for your service.

You are welcome. Sometimes we ca only go so far online. You ask the right questions. Russ

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer