HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We had a transformer blow and were out of electricity for 3…

Customer Question
We had a transformer...

We had a transformer blow and were out of electricity for 3 days. Now the A/C come on for about 3 minutes then the outside unit shuts back off

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

Check the thermostat? Filters are good

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends on the scope of work

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/15/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 11 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, there a two copper tubes connected to the outside, one covered in black foam rubbber insulation, peel the foam back a bit, does that tube get cool when the unit has been running for 3 minutes, or not.

Let me know, we can go from there

That will tell me if the compressor is running not and if not we will then have a look at units 'run capacitor' that may need to be replaced.

click here please, it will have about 5 wires attached to it... if its swollen or oily its bad and is the cause of the problem.