HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a luxaire 9.M series 97% propane.. In April I noticed…

Customer Question
I have a luxaire...

I have a luxaire 9.M series 97% propane.. In April I noticed exhaust was covered with black soot. Had the unit cleaned (very carboned up) and replaced burners. Now beginning of heat season and upon start up, It pops like it is trying to start. Have counted over 12 times before up and running. Maybe 10 minutes and pop 1-3 more times. Even blows off the 3" cap on the side of the furnace. When burners replaced, tech added 2" air intake thru outside wall. It appears now the exhaust is showing signs of carbon/soot build up again. Unit installed in 2009.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Therm ok.. Wife has allergies and replace the filter often.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No..not qualified

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I guess I have explained it the best I can.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
9/14/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 1 year ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The popping sounds like delayed ignition which is usually caused by dirty burners. Soot is the result of too little air for combustion in relation to the gas mix. Since you now have an outside air intake you have more air than before but apparently not enough. If the exhaust is 3" then a 2" intake is too small. It should be 3". I also suspect the gas pressure may be too high.