Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

No display fan only works, when I switch to auto system

Customer Question

No display fan only works, when I switch to auto system shuts down
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: A week
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I had an electrician here yesterday he got it to work but it stoped again
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: When it was working I was in the process of programming the unite date time etc, when the screen went blank
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

Hello, so far it sounds like your thermostat has gone bad, 90% chance that is the case. If you want to do some tests. see if you can gently pry the the thermostat from its wall mounted sub base and take a photo of the thermostat wire connections.

Then post the photo here using the 'add files' link next to your send button.

.

I will prescribe some tests you can do.

The brand and model number is ***** the back of the thermostat once you have it removed, get me the brand and model number while you are at it, I will post a manual for you.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally..

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Waste of time and money, won't use or recommend the service again
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

Why? I just asked for the information I need to diagnose the problem... were you unable to provide it.? Our customers are generally quite happy with our 11,000+ experts here and the answers they provide. I would be very interested in what I might have done wrong to let you down.