Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Draining a Richmond model 54P50E-1 water heater but it will

Customer Question

Draining a Richmond model 54P50E-1 water heater but it will only drain slowly
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: Just installed house filters in water line and wanted to start with new water in heater
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Not a problem but it's trikling slow instead of drainin as gfast as I thought it would
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It's draining filters are in just wanted to drain heater and restart with filtered water, it's what she wants, need I say more
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

Hello, you may need to remove one of the pipe fittings on top of the water heater to let air in, OR open one of the hot taps in the house.

If you have already tried that, you may need to poke a thin steel rod into the drain connection to break away some of the water scale blocking the opening.

.

We can go from there without a time lmit after you rate this answer:

Select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally..

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.