HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I just installed a defrost board and on power up the board

Customer Question
HI, i just installed a...
HI, i just installed a defrost board and on power up the board blew?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: just found the problem yesterday.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: haven't really checked any thing else yet suspect the control board and economizer motor might be bad.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/13/2017
HVAC Technician: HvacmanSean, HVAC Technician replied 2 months ago
HvacmanSean
HvacmanSean, HVAC Technician

Good afternoon, Im sean and look forward to helping you,

Do you have the model number for this unit

it's 50TCQD09D35S5A0
no

I will not be able to assist with this particular set up, I will opt out and another expert will hopefully grab this, Please don't respond until someone else joins on!

HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 2 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, tell me in detail about the board, did it explode, burn or just cease working. Tell me if you can run the compressor by pushing the contactor bar in with the tip of an insulated screw driver.... if so,... remove the two wires that run to the condenser fan motor and measure the resistance across them with an ohm meter.... next measure ohms between each of the fan motor wires and the copper tubing on the unit.

.

Let me know what you can find, we can go from there.

thanks phil will get back to you with results seems like you think it could be a bad load.

Yes that is correct I suspect a bad load (shorted fan motor windings) a bad fan motor run capacitor would not ruin the defrost board.

If the compressor will not run, but does not trip the breaker, its run capacitor might be bad as well, especially if you are using a dual run capacitor. ( comm connection in the middle of it, and fan and herm on the opposite sides)

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer