HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I keep getting a code 76 on my controller. just started.

Customer Question
I keep getting a...

I keep getting a code 76 on my controller.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just started.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Sure

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I looked it up and it said a bad communication. i change the controller and the wire and it still does it.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/13/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 9 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, I need more detail.

1. brand and model number of the furnace, air handler, boiler or water heater...so far I do not know what you have there.

2. By 'controller' do you meant the wall mounted thermostat device or the printed circuit board inside the furnace/ air handler.

We can go from there

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally..

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

Rheem, RTGL74DVN-1 , hot water tankless outside wall mount,the thermostat device on wall is giving me code 76.

Click here please, code 76 is communication fault with remote control. Were you in that storm, had the unit gotten under water at any point?

I changed out the wall thermostat on the wall and the wire and it still gives me code 76.

If the water heater at any point got under water due to the storm its printed circuit board and some of its other electronics would have been ruined.

If that is not the case, then the printed circuit board inside the water heater is most likely bad.... let me know if it ever got under water or not, we can go from there

hello?

Hello, did you get my last response, here it is again:

,

"If the water heater at any point got under water due to the storm its printed circuit board and some of its other electronics would have been ruined.

If that is not the case, then the printed circuit board inside the water heater is most likely bad.... let me know if it ever got under water or not, we can go from there"

On this end we do not stand by waiting, we are notified if and when you respond and are notified... we pick up your response as soon as we are finished with our current customer... so there can be delays at times.

If you are on a smart phone, scroll your screen up to read all of my responses

It never got wet from a storm.

Hello again, next most likely suspect is the printed circuit board inside the boiler. 98% chance that is the problem, however try upplugging and re-plugging each of its connectors one at time, to burnish any oxide from them, that as a chance of fixing the problem.