HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Have an unusual problem...control set to cool, outside

Customer Question
Have an unusual problem...control...

Have an unusual problem...control set to cool, outside compressor running normally, fan NOT running on either auto or On, status lite locked up on "h", lower door getting very cold with condensation running down the outside. Took door off and fiddled with the interlock a few times and system returned to normal. I'm a retired engineer but not HVAC knowledgeable...but sounds like a transient electrical fault that's cured itself now...could it be my unsuccesful attempts to remove the thermostat (to chg batteries - figured out later) could have a marginal connection now that could have caused that?

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

If you're asking me that question, I haven't a clue...I'm asking you whether you've seen this kind of problem before and whether you think my messing with the thermostat trying to remove it could have caused it.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I've told you all I know or am guessing already.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/13/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 11 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Indoor fan is either bad, capacitor is bad or relay that energizes fan is bad.The panel is getting cold because the coil is icing from no air flow.

Is this something you want to troubleshoot yourself or will you call in a technician?

lied yesterday.Not sure why you did not see my reply. Please reply here so you are not billed for a second question