Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a model 2991 in floor thermostat that keep popping

Customer Question

I have a model 2991 in floor thermostat that keep popping breaker. Electrician says floor mat ok. Is there a customer service numer I can call?
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: All I can say is when I turn thermostat on it pops a 20 amp GFI breaker
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No, I have an electricak here at the moment
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The electrican is looking to talk to someone.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

Hello do you have a brand name go go with the model number... tell the electrician to look for a short in floor mat heating elements.

He can do that by measuring ohms between the two wires that go to each element where they are exposed, often at the thermostat. A zero ohm read proves a shorted heating element